Monday, April 19, 2010

dOmesTic…. Part II

The story of jAm….

2010-04-12 april 20101


My dearest friend Nicole suggested that we make jam one Saturday afternoon, since strawberries were on sale and such, how could I pass up the opportunity to put on my apron and learn the art of canning.

Both Nicole’s mom and my mom offered up their advice, but we were armed with a recipe and all the tools needed to make a the perfect jam. So we threw caution to the wind…

I was intimidated at first, lets be honest, the word “pectin” should scare anyone. Let alone boiling jars hoping the lids pop??

The process started out fairly simple and in no time I thought what was I so worried about? After an hour or so we were done. Really that easy?!? We set off to lunch, Nicole helped me with my blog background and then we went to check on how it was setting up. Nothing had changed.

Again we called our mom’s hoping that they would tell us it would be fine. After reading the recipe again we looked at each other baffled, how many strawberries did we use?  Did the recipe call for that many crushed or whole. We used splenda were we supposed to add more pectin (see, it’s a dangerous thing) and so on second guessing ourselves.

In the end the jam maybe a little more runny than most but it is delicious and I learned that I should do a little more research next time we take on this adventure again:)

No comments:

Post a Comment