Thursday, May 20, 2010

FamiLy MeeTing

Tonight I called a family meeting, usually these are called to decide where we are going to eat but tonight we needed to discuss real things that have been happening in our house.

I decided that this was needed after the day that I had. I went to lunch with my mom and the whole time I spent going in an out threatening Payne if he doesn’t stop whining he is going to have a time out, can’t play with Syd, can’t this and that……. Then we got in the car and I lost it. I don’t like when I react like that, there is nothing positive that comes from it and usually I over compensate for being so impatient that the point is lost.  We are all having some issues so I felt this was necessary and long overdue.

First up I laid down some basics:

RESPECT- You show respect, you earn respect

LOVE- We are a family we are supposed to love each other, even the ugly stuff. We should always show each other love!

LANGUAGE- using negative words, yelling, complaining, whining!!

Then I asked each person what I or someone else could do to make their day more positive (I think staring off with, “what can I do for you” really helped)

Wylie- asked if we could be nicer, general but a start

Payne-asked for more playtime, I thought it was sweet that he tried to be involved and maybe this is what he really needs, our positive attention, after I thought about this request maybe it is the reason for all of the whining??

Me- Help around the house. We are not a family with chores, I mainly take care of all the “house” stuff. Initially because I have some OCD issues but now everyone just expecting it. So I nicely explained that if each person help me for 10 min. each after dinner that is 30 more minutes I have to spend time with them (I think a light went off)

Mr. Strate- asked me to answer my phone when he calls, I have a problem with turning my phone on silence. (again it’s a start)

Next, I went through what was expected out of each person and then I asked them what they expected from me.

I think that this was a VERY positive exercise. It opened a lot of doors for conversation and gave some insight to my kids feelings that maybe they were a little afraid to share.

We have made a list with all of our personal goals and expectations on it and it is now posted on our fridge so that we will be gently reminded :)

*** a funny side note, Payne insisted that I add to his list

Payne loves Lucy

I was happy to do so, since he wanted to be involved.

2 comments:

  1. What a great idea! As a side note, Payne's love for lucy made me laugh out loud, to myself. Gotta love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nicole, what a good idea. I wish I would have done that when my kids were your age and I was SAHM. Now they are all leaving and I get to do it all myself.... still.. lol

    ReplyDelete